December 21, 2007

Stand By Your Man

"You might better warn him to be sleepin' with one eye open, Singer."

"What do you mean, Kazhuye?" She looked at me funny... as if I knew something I should not know. Then again it's not everyday that some back wagon plot is hatched to kill off the Ubar. It's just... not done.


And who was I to take advantage of some other man's calamity? If she knew I'd been in on a conspiracy, I do not think I would be any nearer to capturing her heart.

"I mean, I think someone has it in for him. I had a visitor the other day who said..." Funny I couldn't rightly think of what he'd said, not without implicating myself in a dozen different ways. I surely didn't want the Singer goin' off thinkin' I liked her... not after it took me a week or more to finally remove my boot from my mouth.

T'zuri was a bit shocked that someone was aimin' to knock off her guardian as well as her love, though. And I urged her further still... to go and be with him. Lest some mishap befall the man while she is here with me. It would only serve to incriminate me further.

Suddenly she appologized for having yelled at me the other day, over the news about her frevet's alleged death. Now I ain't used to no kind of appologies from women, and it only made me feel all the more guilty over it. "I swear it, T'zuri... I'm gonna make it up to you. I swear it."

"You can take me shopping early in the morning. Soon, Kazhuye." I assumed so she could search for something to replace Snooker with. She turned and hurried off. And once again... I watched her go.

Goodbye, T'zuri.