December 23, 2007

Not Exactly Snooker

"Maybe she won't notice, eh?" I winced with a broad grin as one pair of giani both bit and scratched, snarling a ruckus about being stuffed into a bag. And I finally admitted to them that they were a gift for a woman who'd recently lost her pet frevet.

"She's a woman. 'Course she'll notice," Geiger spat upon the ground and laughed while watching, though he never bothered to help me round up the pair of kittens that I'd laid a trap for and caught in the snowy wilds. Now with fur standing on end and hissing madly, the others joined in the guffaws and laughter. It was widely agreed upon that no matter how badly scratched and clawed I was just now... trying to fool a woman would be a thousand times worse.

"She said it had fur and claws and... round ears." I wanted to believe the Singer would accept that I found her Snooker, or the nearest good substitute. Not only him, but a little mate to make a pair of Snookers.

Once we reached the wagons, I parted paths with Geiger and Cornwall, who went on home. I didn't however, but turned instead for the First Wagons, holding a coarse woven sack off to the side of Necessity's saddle. All the while he kept turning and snapping at the bag... with all it's curious snarling and claws and hissing inside.

"No, Necessity. It's not for you." This I said with a wide grin as I reached the First Fires and immediately corraled the blue haired slave woman away from the others. T'zuri was on the far side of the fire, talking with some fellow... though I'd wanted to drag out the suspense.

I swatted the blue haired slave's backside with the sack, chuckling as the little claws raked her ass a little bit. She sure looked scared! "Here," I said, handing her the sack. "Go on and open it."

The fellow across on the other side of the fire started hollaring, and at first I wasn't much paying attention... til I realized he was hollaring at me, demanding to know why I rode a kaiila. Then demanding I release the blue haired slave. I told him I'd send her right on over just as soon as I was done with her.
Which would not be but a few moments longer I was certain, once she let the cats out of the bag.

Suddenly the fellow came barrelling over trying to make a grab for me... followed immediately by some ten or more people. All shouting and screaming as if all hell had broke loose. There was another shout, ordering me to clear out... leave the First Wagons! And not soon after that about twenty lancers showed up, all with lance tips aimed at keeping me from moving. Though once they lowered their weapons... I drove my boot heel into Necessity's flank and we took off.

The Singer never got her gift. And I suppose it's just as well. Cornwall and Geiger were probably right that she'd never accept two giani kitties as a poor substitute for a lost pet.