December 8, 2007

A Kiss Is Just A Kiss

T'zuri came hurrying after me and reached out to capture my hand when I was right in the middle of untying Necessity's tether. Like she wanted me to stay or something. But I don't know why. She doesn't even like me.

How many times I've wanted to shake her good and hard and just tell her straight up: T'zuri, I like you, dammit. Be my woman and don't say no.

But I just couldn't come right out and say that. Not to her. It is times like these that I sorely miss my father's guidance. Of which I've been denied since adolescence. Cornwall and the other men are no good either, for they are always full of mockery and teasing. And dammit! This is important!

I stopped and glanced down at my hand. Not the one all wound up with a leather strap. But the other one... sandwiched in the Singer's hands. Damn, she has soft hands! That softness called to something hidden way deep... something I've long ago forgotten in all the years since Abigail left to join my father in the Sky. And for an instant I'd wanted nothing more than to yank my hand back and just run like hell. Run! Run for your life, Kazhuye!

But... I couldn't make my feet move. I was frozen up. Let go of my hand, Woman! Gah!!

"You never.. gave me that dagger-throwing lesson you promised, Kazhuye..."

Now? Daggers?? She wanted throwing lessons... now? My concentration was at an all time low, and I was certain if I threw any type of projectile I was liable to make a complete ass of myself and miss by a pasang!

"How do you expect I will win if I do not practice? Do you have time tomorrow, maybe?"

"Tomorrow?" Whew! "Yes... alright." Can I have my hand back now? I think I'm... melting. I tried to force a smile that was more contrite than anything... because all my teeth were showing. "Where will you find me?" I asked easily enough... before shaking my head with a slight laugh. "I mean.. where will I find you?"

She kept squeezing my hand and staring at me. "Excellent.. oh.. I don't know, I thought we could both meet by the stream? A little past the central fire's high point? Can you make it around then?"

"Yes. I'll be there, T'zuri." Anything! Anything! Can I have my hand back now?
Off the hook for tonight. I think I released a sigh of breath that sounded much too much like relief... when she finally let go of my hand.

That's when she suddenly leaned up on her tippy toes... and kissed me right on the cheek. She kissed me! "Blah blah blah..." She was talking, saying something. Her lips were moving but I could not hear what she was saying. My brain was swimming much the same as if I'd have several cups of paga. I just have no clue at all how to read women. They're so... confusing. One minute they hate you, the next they love you.

"Blah blah blah... and you have a good night then.. you too Necessity.. I'll see you both tomorrow." She turned away then and headed off. Left me standing there holding my hand against my cheek.