October 12, 2007

Aiyana Cooks

Cornwall and the other men ribbed me mercilessly when I arrived with a woman they'd never seen before. With thousands and thousands of Tuchuks, it is impossible for everyone to know everyone. But those in my own particular neck of the camp know me very well. And I, them.

My hands were full when we passed by my own wagon on the way to the communal fire, and so I pointed at the dais with my chin, "Grab that pot, Aiyana."

"You are planning a large gathering for your dinner, Kazhuye?"

"Only you." I grinned at her as we reached the fire, where there were already several dour women bustling about their own cooking pots... one of them was now and then beating back some bold slave girl with a stick, who'd dared to try and steal a bit of meat from them. It made the women angry. But it made the men laugh. Ironic, no?



The belled kajira ran right between us both, knocking us out of her way as she scurried off like a jackal with her prize. And several men slapped their thighs in laughter as one of the women who'd been trying to beat her with a stick... gave up and just threw the stick at the bitch!

"Look at her go!" I too, had been laughing. "I bet she wins the bola races every year!"

"Year Keeper! Who's that you got there?" Oh no. It was Cornwall.

"She's the Weaver, from the First Wagons." I was waiting near the fire, still holding Aiyana's things for her, while she hung the cooking pot from the large tripod.

"Are you gonna help her cook?" Cornwall asked, and all the other fellows laughed and slapped their knees. He is a kaiila's ass sometimes. No... he is a kaiila's ass ALL of the time.

"NO!" I shouted back, though I admit it was funny... and soon I too was laughing.

I had left Aiyana at the fire with the other women, while I settled on the ground upon the new blanket and had a bowl or two of paga in the meantime. The women were over there buzzing about something, while we men just watched them cook. Aiyana was looking right at me.
I think I saw her lips moving. If you tell me where your dishes are I shall get them, the meat is about done. But I was lost in thoughts and didn't hear her.

Suddenly a small pebble sailed past and clinked right against the paga bowl I was drinking from. "Hey, Year Keeper! The lady's talking to you." Again there was more raucous laughter from them as they ribbed me. And Cornwall again, cupping a hand to his mouth as he mimicked a woman's voice as best he could, "Where's your dishes, darling!"

"Ahhh... shut up!" I threw the small stone back at Cornwall. "In there, Aiyana," I said, pointing to my wagon.

Afterward there was a chorus of men's voices, repeating in mimicry of me, "IN THERE, AIYANA!" Then laughter, more laughter.